Not a place...
0 comment Wednesday, May 7, 2014 |
My home is not a place, it is people.
Lois McMaster Bujold wrote that. I agree with it. Speaking for myself, my home is people, not just a geographic location, and yet I have a strong, primal attachment to the place which is the old home place, where generations of my ancestors lived and died, and where they lie buried.
I wrote a little about the subject of home, and about the loss of home in a post called Home Truths.
The subject is far too little discussed in all our debates about what is happening to our country and our people. The idea of home is very primal, and is essential to us all -- yet we think little about it in the context of our crisis.
However, over at Signals From the Brink, the Narrator has a very good post called 'Us', which says some very important things about home and identity and culture. If you haven't already done so, please read it; it's well worth reading and pondering.

Labels: , , ,